Wednesday, August 17, 2005

rethinking the marathon

Dear Friends,

I cannot thank you enough for your generous donations to The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society this year. I was able to raise almost $2100.00 – well over my goal – and the numbers just keep on growing. Over the summer, Illinois Teams in Training raised a combined total of almost $1 million!

Originally, my plan was to run the Chicago Marathon with the Team in Training in October. However, at this point in time, I do not feel that my training has been sufficient enough to do well in a marathon. I have lost a couple of weeks due to a minor injury. I will, however, still be competing in another goal race this year, the Accenture Chicago Triathlon. I have been training for this event for quite some time, and as it is a Team in Training event, I am going to make this the event in which I will honor my patient honoree (my Aunt Joanne), all those who struggle with blood disorders, and those who have donated to the cause.

The Accenture Chicago Triathlon is an Olympic Distance triathlon, famous for being “the world’s largest triathlon.” On August 28, I will be swimming .93 miles (1.5k), biking 24.8 miles (40k), and running 6.2 miles (10k). The swim is held in Lake Michigan, while parts of the bike and run are on sections of famous Lake Shore Drive. This will be the longest triathlon I have done to date, and I am very excited (and a little bit nervous!). If you are in the Chicago area, we would love to have you cheer us on!

I will continue to train with the Chicago Marathon Team, and will still be in Chicago on Sunday, October 9 to cheer my teammates on. And who knows, I may run the Marathon after all. Thanks to all of you for helping the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society take another step towards cures for leukemia, lymphoma and multiple myeloma.

Aimee

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home